The holidays are filled with fun things to do and of course, yummy food to eat. Candy canes, pies, and other treats are a staple for the holidays, but they can also increase decay-producing bacteria from sugar and acid, for the whole family. Read below to learn how you can reduce the chance of cavities and keep your oral health in good shape:
– Cutting back or eliminating the candy for the stocking may be a good idea, instead opting for grooming kits, ties, socks, or small toys for children, such as cars, balls, crayons, and other fun trinkets for children.
– Candy canes on the tree are a fun tradition, but this year, try something different, including making some ornaments with your children. Adorn with tinsel and other bright colors.
– Buy a toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss for each family member, as stocking stuffers, a great reminder of how important it is to keep their teeth clean.
– Make memories with loved ones! Attend a holiday play or concert, check out the city holiday lights, go ice skating, or build a snowman or fort.
– Instead of a sugary candy bowl, put out peppermints made of Xylitol, or sugar-free and reduced sugar candies.
– Brush and floss your teeth more often, especially if you are eating more sugary sweets this holiday season.
– Get a thorough cleaning and oral examination at Gentle Touch Dental after the holidays, to start the new year with fresh, clean teeth!
If it’s been a while since you have been to your dentist, contact us today to get an appointment with Dr. Dexter Inniss. Call us at 770-760-7566 and get more information about protecting your oral health in Conyers, Georgia. We look forward to hearing from you soon!